Mission
History
Service Area
The company was founded in 1910 as Belair Market by Maurice "Mollie" Berman. Belair sold fresh produce to the public in downtown Baltimore, MD. Maurices son, C. Nelson Berman, Sr., began working with his dad while still in high school and became president of the company when his father retired in the 1950s. As the 1950s came to a close, retail produce operations were beginning to feel competition from the change in the public?s shopping habits. Sensing the ebb of change, C. Nelson Berman, Sr. transformed Belair Market into a wholesale operation, incorporating and changing the name to Belair Produce in 1961. The company began supplying fresh produce to ships in port, restaurants, hospitals, foodservice institutions and clubs. Upon his retirement in 1982, his son, C. Nelson "Buzz" Berman, Jr. succeeded him as president of Belair Produce. Under the leadership of this third generation of Bermans, the company has doubled its business. Today, Belair not only distributes fresh produce, it offers an extensive line of specialty items via Watermark, its specialty foods division.
 
As with many industries, foodservice has gone through consolidations, buy-outs and mergers in the last twenty years, but Belair Produce is still a family owned and operated company. You?ll still find Belair?s produce in restaurants, hospitals, and clubs, but they also deliver to catering facilities, convention centers and schools throughout the mid-Atlantic. As the fourth generation takes command of some of the day-to-day operations, Belair Produce is poised to continue its growth for another 95 years.

About Us Our Products Specialty Products Order Online Recipes Become A Customer Contact Us